• New ATA forums start this Fall with Doris Florig, Christine Laffer and Linda Rees. For more information on signing up check here.
• MAIZ, curated by Jackie Wollenberg, features tapestries by 16 artists in a new exhibition in our ATA Web Gallery. Check it out.
• New Artist Pages for Cornelia Theimer Gardella and Anton Veenstra, as well as a bio update from Anne Jackson.
• New Artist Pages for Anne Jackson and an update with new work by Kathe Todd-Hooker. • We have added new functionality to our PayPal buttons. Check the Join ATA page. • New ATA tag line "Honoring Tradition, Inspiring Innovation" • Welcome new Board Members: Elaine Duncan, Tricia Goldberg, Michael Rohde, and Diane Wolf.
September 2009 • A list of ATA events planned for Convergence 2010.
• An ATA Award of Excellence was given to Kathe Todd-Hooker for her tapestry "So Sought After" at the IMC Fiber Celebrated Exhibition. • ATA's Annual Report for 2008-2009 year ending June 30, 2009 available for download here. • Latest issue of Tapestry Topics Online (Fall, v35n3) available with color images. • New website banners and drop-down menus.
August 2009 • New Artist Pages for Lialia Kuchma, of Chicago, Illinois.
• Artist Page update for Connie Lippert with three new tapestries.
• The latest exhibition for our ATA Web Gallery brings to you with great pleasure: Jean Pierre Larochette and Yael Luriecurated by Susan Martin Maffei. • Continuing ATA's Educational Article Series we have the latest addition: Blog Tech • Sign up for the next Online Study Group scheduled for September, "Political Lines in Tapestry" facilitated by Christine Laffer. • ATA announces that "Enchanted Pathways" will be the next small format tapestry exhibition to take place at Convergence 2010 in New Mexico. • ATA will host its next Educational Retreat "Tapestry Enchantment" in 2010 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. • Now you can make your membership payment to ATA via PayPal. More information here.
• A warm welcome to Barbara Heller as ATA's new Chair of its Distance Learning Program. Details on our program available here. • Our Calendar page gets updated every month. Since we have a very quiet June you might think there is no news but the Calendar shows otherwise. Check it here.
May 2009 • The 2009 ATA Student Award went to Daniel C. Edwards of Australia. Congratulations!
• ATA will be at SOFA West from June 11 - 14th during the large art expo there. More information here on our Calendar Listings. • Please join the ATA Board in welcoming Mary Zicafoose to the position of Co-Director of Resources, replacing Linda Wallace. Linda will remain on the Board of Directors to continue her work with public relations and promotions. Our list of volunteers can be viewed here. •Tapestry Topics Online gives you excerpts of the latest printed version of Tapestry Topics (Summer v35 n2), with large color images for your enjoyment!
January 2009 • ATA's Student Award opens up applications for 2009 using our guidelilnes listed here. Application deadline: April 15th. • New Artist Pages for Pam Gibson.
• Educational Workshop: Toolkit of Tapestry Techniques taught by Christine Laffer coincides with opening of Connections: Small Tapestry International this coming May.
November 2008: The latest edition of Tapestry Topics Online (Winter 2008 volume 34 number 4) with a beautiful selection of color images exceeding those in the print version.
• Connections deadline extended to postmark of December 1st.
October 2008: ATA Award for Excellence in Tapestry given to Alexandra Friedman for her tapestry Flow 3.
May 2008: ATA has produced two new catalogs. Place your order for American Tapestry Biennial 7 and Woven Gems today!
• View the work of Lialia Kuchma in our latest in a series of Work Over Time exhibitions exclusively shown in our online gallery.
March 2008: ATA announces a new program for beginning weavers through distance learning: Helping Hands (for Members).
• The latest issue of Tapestry Topics Online has full color images to augment our Spring 2008 printed version.
• New images now on view in David Johnson's Artist Pages.
February 2008: We have updated our Exhibitions section with the new downloadable entry form for Connections 2009.
• View the updated images on Inge Nørgaard's Artist Page.
May 2007: The latest edition of Tapestry Topics Online is now available. This is an edited version of our special anniversary edition available to members in full color.
• American Tapestry Biennial 7 Entry Forms are now available for download in .pdf format. Deadline for submissions is November 30, 2007.
• New Artist Pages for Margo Macdonald.
March 2007: The latest edition of Tapestry Topics Online (Spring 2007 v33n1) is available for our members to enjoy.
February 2007: ATA sends out invitations for its Silver Anniversary Celebration. Please join us for this event April 27 through 29th at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, San Jose, California. ATA also announces its Silver Anniversary Fundraiser with donations awarded with a chance to win a tapestry by Barbara Heller.
This piece by Kathe Todd-Hooker was stolen from the Albany City Hall, 333 Broadalbin, Albany, OR 97321. It was in an Oregon Crafted exhibition. It was stolen on October 26, 2006 at about 11:00 AM. Please contact Teresa Johnson at Albany City Hall, 1-541- 917-7500 if you have any information about this tapestry. It is called "Variations on a Theme Sky Paused to Sigh" and measures 3 inches by 10 inches.
May 2006: ATA presents its first ATA Student Award to Mary Caitlin Sellers of Richmond, Virginia.
• American Tapestry Alliance announces its General Bi-annual Meeting 2006 set for Grand Rapids, MI, July 1, 2006.
February 2006: Mark Adams, known as an artist and tapestry designer, died at home in San Francisco on Tuesday, January 28, 2006 after a brief illness at the age of 80.
As reported in the San Francisco Chronicle: "Mr. Adams was known for the grace and delicacy of his spare, single-object still life pictures, and for the big stained-glass windows and tapestries he was commissioned to create for churches, synagogues, libraries and office buildings around the Bay Area. He made stained-glass windows for Temple Emanu-El and Grace Cathedral in San Francisco and the Lafayette-Orinda United Presbyterian Church, among others, and did tapestries for such diverse places as the San Francisco International Airport, the Marina branch of the San Francisco Public Library and the Dallas Fairmont Hotel."
• Correspondence course for Tapestry Program run by the South West Institute of TAFE, Warrnambool, Victoria Australia, is a 6 yr part time course which includes art subjects, drawing, design, painting, printing, photography along with textile technology, plus the all year units on weaving. I think it is now called a Diploma of Art - Tapestry. check out the website, Marie Cook is the main lecturer for this course. www.swtafe.vic.edu.au/